Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Story where he wrote love on his arm

This story is about when my friend Mattchew visited my site.

First we met in machakos, then I took him on the bus ride to my site. Once off the bus we had a 45 minute walk to my house.

On the way to my house we ran into my friend Jahap. Jahap is probably twenty years old, male, who lives in my village. We have new spoke together, but he is one of my best friends here. Jahap is deaf and is home from school. I usually see him riding his bike through town, sometimes with 3 jugs of water on it, and anytime he sees me, he gives me the biggest greeting I’ve had. He is always smiling and happy and excited to see me. Our conversation consists of hand signals, what we are currently doing, if we are staying here or if we are on our way someone else.

Back to the story. Jahap finds us, and gives us his typical greeting and conversation. Then he writes the word love on his arm and points to his arm and points to me and repeats this, to tell Mattchew that he loves me. Another moment that make my experience.

2 comments:

  1. very cool. i'm so glad you're becoming part of the community there. i cannot wait to hear all your stories - and for you to meet your new niece Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trevor, I used to work at CCC with your Dad and I've been following your experience closely. I visited Kenya in 1974 on a college study tour and it was awesome. The thing that impressed me the most and which I remember the most clearly about Kenya are the various smells: spices, cooking, animals, the grasslands, etc., etc. You are having the time of your life. Be well and thank you for making a difference in our great big, small world. :)

    ReplyDelete